The 80th session of the Marine Environment Protection Committee was held in person from 3 to 7 July 2023. The MEPC 80 session adopted the 2023 IMO Strategy on Reduction of GHG Emissions from Ships, with enhanced targets to tackle harmful emissions. The revised IMO GHG Strategy includes an enhanced common ambition to reach net-zero GHG emissions from international shipping close to 2050, a commitment to ensure an uptake of alternative zero and near-zero GHG fuels by 2030, as well as indicative check-points for 2030 and 2040.
In particular MEPC 80 adopted the following actions:
- Strengthened levels of ambition, to reach net-zero GHG emissions “close to” 2050
- Set indicative checkpoints to reduce by at least 20% (striving for 30%) by 2030; and by at least 70% (striving for 80%) by 2040, compared to 2008
- Encouraged uptake of zero/near-zero GHG emission technologies, fuels and/or energy sources to represent at least 5% (striving for 10%) of the energy used by shipping
- Mid-term measures including technical and economic measures (still to be assessed and determined before adoption in 2025)
MEPC 80 also adopted Guidelines on life cycle GHG intensity of marine fuels (LCA Guidelines) (resolution MEPC.376(80)).
On other matters, MEPC 80:
- Amended the IMO ship fuel oil consumption Data Collection System (DCS)
- Amended the Ballast Water Record Book in the Ballast Water Management Convention
- Adopted Interim Guidelines for the use of biofuels and blends of biofuels
- Adopted Biofouling management revised Guidelines
- Adopted revised Underwater Noise Guidelines
- Designated a Particular Sensitive Sea Area in the North-Western Mediterranean Sea
The following notes are a summary of the relevant topics and outcomes discussed. Note that the presented information reflects the status at the time of MEPC 80 which may change as a result of ongoing developments. It is also uncertain at this time whether the mentioned amendments or new regulations will eventually be adopted in future versions of the Red Ensign Group Yacht Codes or other flag codes.